Friday, February 24, 2006

The "roller coaster" continues

February 24, 2006
this morning I was awaken by the phone. Instantly I knew there was something wrong. It was Koa's Doctor, he says that he is sad to tell me that in an x-ray that they took early in the morning showed that there was air in Koa's little abdomen. This is something that was a maybe yesterday but we prayed that it wouldn't be what it was. The air in his abdomen was caused by gases that were escaping from a hole in Koa's intestine or stomach. So my wife and I got up and went to the hospital to meet with another surgeon. In the meting the surgeon tells us what he will do today to try to fix the problem to allow Koa to get recovered form his heart surgery and to get strong enough to deal with a second major surgery. The procedure that they did today was to let the fluid out of Koa's abdomen by putting a small drain tube into the right side of his tummy. Before the surgery the surgeon tells my wife and I that with this procedure there is only 30 % of little ones that make it through. But the alternative is to do a surgery that thy take the intestine out of the tummy and inspect it to find the hole and then place that part on the out side of the body and then Koa would poop in a bag for a little wail until he got older. But this procedure only 5 percent of little ones make it after that surgery. So now he has the drainage tube in until he is old and stronger enough to handle the other surgery better. But we will just keep praying and put it in the hands of God and help him to guide the doctors and nurses and my wife and I to do and make the right decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home