Saturday, March 25, 2006

Today Koa was doing ok

Today was about the same as yesterday. He was still using about the same oxygen on the ventilator. And was having his ups and downs with his oxygen saturation.
we went out today with our friends Angel and her son David (Koa's Uncle David);). When we out we got a phone call from the doctor that was on duty. This is where things got exciting. He tells us that they are going to change Koa's breathing tube because they think that he has out grown the tube that he got when he was born. So I get the message from Courtnie. So I'm like when are they doing this because 2 days ago I talked to a RT that told me that they didn't want replace it because he wasn't quite big enough to need the bigger tube yet. And that by doing putting a bigger tube in that it could hert Koa trachea. Courtnie tells me that they are going to put the tube in as soon as we get back because she asked them to wait until we got there if they could. So we quick leave and go back to the hospital to be there and try to comfort Koa from a distance. But as we walk in and are washing up we find out that they have already started to do the procedure to switch the tubes. I was like OK I thought they were going to wait until we got back to do this. But I think that it was again God helping us (Courtnie and I) because I thing that seeing our son go through that would have been another one of those things that was better off to be there after and comfort him letting him know that every thing was ok. When they took the tube out there was some green secretions on the end of the tube that was in his lungs. This was a surprise to every one the doctors nurses and us. This green stuff could be a sign of an infection in his lungs. So they sent it off to the lab to be cultured and tested to see what it was. We are praying that it isn't an infection and the nurse tonight doesn't thing that it was an infection just secretions that built up on the tube over time. The good thing is that Koa isn't showing any signs of an infection and the tubes being changed could have taken a brewing infection out of his lungs and will make it possible for the doctors to treat it if there is one in his lungs better.
when we got to Koa's bed the doctor and nurses were done with the procedure and told us that it had gone very well. Right after they hooked the vent to Koa he soon needed only room air witch is 21% oxygen and was satting in the high 90's so it looked like the tube change had worked. But by the time we left at about 1am he was back to his old self. Of not liking being touched by any one but his mommy. Not to say that he wouldn't have liked me holding his hand also I was chicken and didn't push it for once in my life. So when we left he was needing about 35% oxygen from the vent and his oxygen saturation was up and down from the high 70's to mid 90's. So he could be better. But has improved since last week and I think he has improved from the new tube also I thing that just the switching of the tubes took it out of him. I look at it like this it would be like you or I waking up in the morning with these huge people holding you down and putting a garden hose down our throat into our lungs. I don't know about you but I know I would be a little pissed off too. So I cant blame him for being touchy.
I just thank God for looking out for my little guy and for Courtnie and I. And for guiding the doctors and nurses in Koa's care. And most of all for answering our prayers.
thank you all again for your prayers and gifts and for your love and support.
we love you all,
Koa, Courtnie and Jeremiah Bachert

5 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Lori said...

So glad you were able to comfort him after everything settled down. He knows the difference between his mommy and daddy and everyone else. Just think he knows you don't do those "nasty' things to him and he appreciates that. He is like "thanks mom and dad for making me feel better after they got done shoving that big thing down my throat-boy am I glad that is over" Little Koa knows the difference what an amazing little boy. The love of a child is something nobody can describe unless you have been there. Love you lots and miss you three. Love to Koa, Court and you. Aunt Lori and family.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Rachel_Bachert said...

That sounded really scary...I hope that everything looks good in the morning light and that the tube change was a good thing...and that there is no infection...I love you all very very much...*HUGS*

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's Saturday morning and I just read your note from last night about all the events of yesterday. It's amazing to me that you have the energy to sit down and write when you get back to your room after all you go through in a day. I hope you know that if you aren't on here everyday, that we know you need time for yourselves. I read the progress every morning before work and say a prayer that your day will go well for all of you. Your strength inspires me. I love you all. Take care, Jan

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading the latest news was a little nerve wracking at first but as it went on it seems everything that was done seems to be for the better - hopefully no infection and hopefully the removal came at a good time to ward off any new problems. How very special you two are to take the time to let us all know everything that is going on. Our friends here are all praying for Koa and you too. Sooo many people that don't know you but want to be of some help and pray from the heart and straight to God's ear. We know He is listening and you know it too. Stay strong and we love you very much. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for keeping us informed.LOL Grtgrdm & Grtgrdp C.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
Sounds like Koa is settling down from his fright-night. I can not tell you how wonderful it was to spend time with the J. Bachert family this weekend... UNCLE David will be talking about his time with you for a long time and will no doubt be inquiring as to when we can get back to Anchorage from now until it actualy happens. He picked up a book at the store on the way home. It's called How NOT to babysit your little brother.He figured he could learn a few things before he starts babysitting Koa. He read me the title of chapter one....don't forget to look for your little brother when you are playing hide and seek. Words to live by for a 7 year old! :) Thanks for letting us hang out with you guys this weekend! You are in our prayers and we love you bunches and bunches. Auntie Angel and
UNCLE David (btw...you've created a monster by giving him a title!)

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home